Hello everyone & welcome back to my blog!
As you may have noticed I haven’t posted in a couple weeks. That is because I was traveling and eating my way through, Greece, the Amalfi Coast and Spain (travel blogs coming soon!)
Needless to say, I have not been eating well the last couple of weeks as I enjoyed all the yummy foods traveling had to offer. And while it was fun, I definitely returned home a couple days ago feeling sluggish, not my best, and super excited to get back to a regular, more healthy lifestyle of eating.
Yesterday my mom & I went to a couple of grocery stores and basically started over on everything in our refrigerator and pantry, as we left the house mostly empty of food before leaving town. So I came up with a list to share with y’all of all my kitchen or diet staples & basics as well as a few tips on how I shop for a healthy lifestyle! Of course I am not a Registered Dietician or expert in this area, but like everything on my blog this is just what I have found to work and be true for me!
For starters I try and stick to the 2 P’s for the bulk of my food: Produce and Protein
Tip: The easiest way to stick to the 2 P’s and shop Paleo or clean is by sticking mainly to the outer aisles of the grocery store for your shopping, this is where the whole, fresh foods are.
I always keep tons of greens in the house for nutrient bowls, salads and smoothies. I also like to have a variety of other veggies to cook up or eat raw as sides.
Tip: For fruits & veggies, if it has a peeling you are going to take off (ex. Banana, Avocado, Orange) then don’t spend extra on organic as it won’t make as of big a difference. If you eat the peeling or whole thing, go organic.
- Romain Lettuce
- Bell Peppers (great crunchy snack*)
- Sweet Potato
Nature’s candy! I love fruit as a mid day treat, in smoothies and especially frozen. Grabbing a piece of fruit when you are craving sugar can really help put a sweet tooth to rest, but keep in mind that fruit does still have a lot of sugar & carbs even if it is natural, so like everything, eat in moderation.
Tip: Always check to buy fruits as they are in season for better taste & price – mix it up!
- Mangos (Frozen & Fresh)
- Bananas (Buy Fresh & freeze myself)
- Berries (Frozen & Fresh)
- Currently in Summer – Watermelon
Getting enough protein into your diet is SO important! I love to get my daily protein from a mix of things including shakes, greens and nuts, but here I am just focusing on animal protein.
Tip: When buying meat it is important to spend a little more & buy quality, I focus on always buying organic and humanly raised animals. I’ll list specifically what I look for when buying next to each meat. Pay attention to where what you put in your body comes from! It matters!
- Chicken Breast and Thigh (Free range)
- Salmon (Wild Caught)
- Tuna (Canned “light” meat, packed in water not oil)
- Beef Steak (Grass fed Organic)
- Eggs (Large, cage free, vegetarian fed)
- Turkey Bacon
- Frozen Jumbo Shrimp
- Trader Joe’s Frozen Turkey Burgers
Here’s the fun part! When your diet is based heavily off of vegetables and meats people can a lot of times think that = plain, tasteless food. But it doesn’t have to! Learning how to season your food well is a game changer. Here are things I love using.
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- Lemon Pepper
- Onion Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Lemons & Limes
- Fresh Rosemary, Thyme
- Whole Grain/ Dijon Mustard
- Paleo Ranch Dressing (linked in my Dairy Free blog)
- Tahini (great to use in homemade salad dressings*)
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar
- Coconut Oil
- Olive Oil
NUTS, SEEDS & SUPERFOODS:
Tip: Sprinkle these into salads & smoothies for extra nutrients & deliciousness.
Every day I try and incorporate at least a couple of these foods into my meals. I love to fill up a mason jar of homemade “Fruit and Nut trail mix” every week and store it in my pantry to snack on. My current favorite combo is almonds, goji berries, coconut flakes & dried cherries.
- Almonds (unsalted)
- Almond Butter/ Trader Joe’s Mixed Nut Butter
- Hemp Hearts
- Chia Seeds
- Goji Berries
- Dried Cherries
- Coconut Flakes
- Flax Seed
- Acai Powder
- Organic Pea Protein Powder, currently i am loving a vanilla Pea option I got at Trader Joe’s but I switch around in plant based proteins.
OTHER SNACKS/ RANDOM THINGS:
These items fit in no category, they’re just random things I like to eat and have at the house all the time.
- Protein Bars ( I eat Aloha bars, Square Organics bars, Rise bars and Luna bars)
- No sugar added Apple sauce ( I like to freeze these & eat them in place of ice cream)
- Greek Yogurt (I try and be dairy free usually, but occasionally I like to eat these in the A.M. if my body is craving it!)
- Mary’s Gone original crackers
- Almond Milk
- Kombucha, a couple bottles
- Quinoa (occasionally eat to bulk up bowls/ salads/ stews)
- Dave’s Bread (sometimes I love a good slice of Avocado toast!.. again listen to your body)
I hope you guys got some inspo. for your own healthy grocery lists! Share with me below if you have any healthy favorites that you love!
I get most of my groceries at Trader Joes, Whole Foods or Target*